The subject specific STAAR Raw Score mean and standard deviation (2018-2019 Technical Digest) are used to convert individual student raw scores into standard score (also known as a z-score). A standard score is a raw score expressed in terms of how many standard deviations it is away from the population mean.
Once a standard score is calculated for each year filtered for each student, the difference (z-score current year – z-score previous year) is calculated, totaled (sum of all z-scores) and averaged [(z-Score current year) – (z-Score previous year) / (Total # of Students)] for all students in each teacher’s roster. To be included in this calculation, a student must have a raw score for each year. If a student did not take the test or took a different version of the test, the student would not be included in this calculation for this report. This report performs this calculation for each teacher in the district for all subjects and lists them alphabetically.
Identifies average student growth by teacher as compared to the performance of the population in the state. By definition, the average standard score of the population in the state would be 0. Any number greater than 0 equals greater than average performance as compared to the population in the state. Conversely, any number less than 0 would equal less than average performance as compared to the population in the state.
- Raw Scores (Students must have a raw score on record for both the previous and current year on the same test version, to be included in this report)
- STAAR Mean (2018-2019 Technical Digest)
- STAAR Standard Deviation (2018-2019 Technical Digest)
- Average Growth of Students: (z-Score current year) – (z-Score previous year) / (Total # of Students)
- Mean: The average calculated by summing all the values in a data set and dividing by the number of cases.
- Standard Score: A raw score expressed in terms of how many standard deviations it falls away from the mean (also known as z-score).
- Standard Deviation: Tells the average distance by which average scores deviate from the mean.
- Standard Deviation of Average Growth of Students: The average distance by which the average student growth deviates from the mean.
- Standard Error of the Mean: Standard deviation of the sampling distribution of the mean. It tells how much variability there is between each sample mean.
- Box and Whisker Plot:
- Median: The line in the middle of the box. Denotes the middle score.
- Box that surrounds the line: Represents interquartile range, the range within which the middle 50% of the score fall.
- Interquartile Range: Measured by the distance from the bottom to the top of the box. Taller boxes mean more variability.
- Whiskers: The range of scores from the minimum score to the maximum score.
- z-Score: A raw score expressed in terms of how many standard deviations it falls away from the mean (also known as standard score).
- Admin Month
- Test Admin Mode
- Ethnicity (Optional)
- Special Population (Optional)
- Focus List (Optional)
- Average Growth Requirement (User can filter teachers by minimum growth requirement)
- Minimum # of Students