Summary: This report provides HB3 Student Census Tier and Residential Placement data related to compensatory education funding as reported in Fall PEIMS. The report is based upon the latest posted HB3 information regarding State Compensatory Education (SCE) Program from TEA (see references below).
Usage: Use report to assist in completing the summary of finance template funding projections for state compensatory education. The Campus Summary view allows for reconciliation with the TEA Summary of Finance.
Data Source(s): Fall PEIMS records
- 40100 – Student Basic Information – Student Extension
- 40110 – Enrollment – Student School Association Extension
*NOTE: The Census Tiers are updated and stored during TSDS Fall PEIMS file loads in OnDataSuite(ODS). If a new TEA Census Block Mapping file is loaded in ODS, the changes are reflected in the report once the Fall PEIMS file is reloaded in ODS.
Tier counts are provided in the following subsets:
- Census Block (GeoID) : student’s residence census block SES Tier associated with the students’ Fall PEIMS Census Block Group (E1648) information reported in PEIMS. Using the respective school year Census Block Group Mapping for 20xx State Funding reference in the District and Planning Tools subsection on the State Funding website provided by TEA to link the Census Block Group (E1648) to the reported SES Tier.
- Census Block (GeoID) Reported – Lowest Tier Default :student’s reporting a Census Block Group (E1648) in Fall PEIMS that is not assigned an SES Funding Tier in the respective TEA Census Block Tier Mapping for 20xx State Funding ‘Summary’ tab.
- * Reference the ‘incomplete data’ tab on the TEA spreadsheet (link above) for more information on the missing criteria for SCE funding tier assignments. Per TEA guidance, any Census Block Group reported with insufficient data to assign a funding tier will be assigned the lowest funding tier – Tier 1.
- Homeless: Homeless (E1082) (C189) = 2, 3, 4 or 5 student’s assigned Tier 5 funding effective 2020-2021.
Grand Total = Tier 1-5 Totals
No Tier Assigned:
- Residential Placement Facility – parent does not reside in district, Eco Dis students w/o Disability:
- # Economic Disadvantaged: student’s with Student Attribution (E1000) = 21 or 23 AND Eco Dis (E0785) = 01, 02, 99 AND ADA Eligibility (E0787) = 1, 2, 3, 6 or 7 AND Homeless (E1082) = 0 AND Primary Disability (E0042) = 00. Per TEA guidance HB3 Update – Residential Facility Data Reporting and Funding Update these students do not report Census Block data and the SCE allotment is calculated separate from Tier 1 – Tier 5 funding.
Fall PEIMS Fatal edits for data integrity must be cleared for Census Tier Mapping to be accurate:
Fatal Edit : 40100-0190 checks for missing Student Census Block Group numbers on eligible students: Students triggering this edit will result in potential underreported Tier counts for HB3 Comp Ed.
STUDENT-CENSUS-BLOCK-GROUP must be reported for students who are:
- Economically disadvantaged (ECONOMIC-DISADVANTAGE-CODE 01, 02 or 99)
- AND Enrolled on the Fall snapshot date (AS-OF-STATUS-CODE B, D, F, or X)
- AND Eligible for ADA (ADA-ELIGIBILITY-CODE 1, 2, 3, 6, 7) OR enrolled, not in membership due to the virtual learning (ADA-ELIGIBILITY-CODE 9).
- AND Not Homeless (HOMELESS-STATUS-CODE 0)
- AND This includes students (with or without a disability) who reside in a residential facility if they are regularly assigned to the LEA. (ATTRIBUTION-CODE <> 21 or 23)
Fatal Edit : 40100-0191 checks for Student Census Block Group numbers reported on ineligible students: Students triggering this edit will result in potential overreported Tier counts for HB3 Comp Ed.
STUDENT-CENSUS-BLOCK-GROUP must not be reported for students who are:
- Not economically disadvantaged (ECONOMIC-DISADVANTAGE-CODE 00)
- Not enrolled on the Fall Snapshot Date (AS-OF-STATUS-CODE A, C, E or G)
- Ineligible for ADA (ADA-ELIGIBILITY-CODE 0, 4, 5 or 8)
- Homeless (HOMELESS-STATUS-CODE <> 0), OR
- Residing in a residential facility but not regularly assigned to the district (ATTRIBUTION-CODE 21 or 23)
- Year (Default most current year of Fall PEIMS data)
- Campus (Default All Campuses)
- Grade Level (Default All Grades)
- Focus List (Default none)
- Drill down on counts to see a detailed list of students
- Grade Summary : default view listing tiers by All Grades (toggle button view)
- Campus Summary: report listing tiers by All Campuses (toggle button view)
Special Notes: As TEA updates HB3 funding changes to state compensatory education, the reports will be updated. Per initial guidance, the census tiers are to be evaluated annually and updated by TEA each Spring.
Resources for Calculations:
July 11, 2019 TEA posted initial guidance on HB3 State Compensatory Education Program changes. Reference the HB3 in 30 video and resources posted at https://tea.texas.gov/about-tea/government-relations-and-legal/government-relations/hb-3-30-video-series
July 12, 2019 TEA released To The Administrator Addressed (TAA) update on HB3 Implementation: State Compensatory Education
November 7, 2019 TEA release (TAA) update on HB3 Implementation Compensatory Education Allotment Advisory Committee